5 Reasons You Need to Use a Cystic Acne Spot Treatment
Cystic acne is a common skin condition characterized by painful, pus-filled cysts underneath the skin on the face, back, arms, or other parts of the body. While some people experience cystic acne only once or twice during their lives, others suffer from chronic outbreaks.
Here are 5 great reasons to use a cystic acne spot treatment:
- Allows you to Target Individual Acne Problem Areas
- Reduces Swelling and Redness
- Clears Toxins From Your Pores
- Quickly Treats Severe Acne
- Heals Acne Scars
What is Cystic Acne?
Cystic acne is a severe form of acne that forms deep below the outer layers of the skin. It is different from mild acne, which is much easier to treat.
Cystic acne occurs when the sebaceous glands (oil glands) become blocked and produce excess sebum (oil) into pores. This causes inflammation and clogged pores, leading to painful cysts that can become red and inflamed. If you try to pop or squeeze the cysts, it can lead to facial scarring. The good news is, there are topical treatments available that can significantly improve cystic acne.
What Causes Cystic Acne?
While it isn't exactly clear what causes cystic acne, we know that certain hormones play a role. A group of sex hormones called androgens (which includes the hormone testosterone) increases in both males and females during puberty. When this happens, it can lead to a buildup of acne-causing bacteria that results in clogged pores that can make acne worse.
In addition to puberty, there are other conditions (especially those that occur in women) that cause hormonal imbalances that may lead to this severe type of acne:
- menstrual cycle or menstrual irregularities
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- perimenopause and menopause
- hormonal therapies related to menopause
Other causes of cystic breakouts may include:
- certain oral medications
- hormonal birth control methods including oral contraceptives
- using the wrong skincare products for your skin type
- excessive sweating
- family history of cystic acne
How to Treat Cystic Acne
Finding the right treatment is crucial to keeping cystic pimples under control and keeping your skin healthy. You should start by finding the right skincare products that are specifically designed as treatments for acne. This may include a combination of products that work together to clear dead skin cells that can block hair follicles, reduce skin irritation, and control the production of sebum that leads to acne bacteria.
Look for active ingredients that are strong enough to treat acne bacteria but gentle enough that they can be used daily on the sensitive skin on your face. Ingredients like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and glycolic acid work well for the treatment of acne and can usually be found in over-the-counter acne products.
Look for other all-natural ingredients like tea tree oil, bentonite clay, aloe vera, and witch hazel, which work to reduce inflammation, soothe skin, and prevent additional breakouts. Products like TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment can be used as an effective treatment for flare-ups and to treat an infected pimple quickly and efficiently.
So why should you use a cystic acne treatment? There are many benefits!
1. Allows You to Target Individual Acne Problem Areas
A spot treatment product allows you to target specific acne problem areas that arise during a flare-up. In addition to a good preventive skincare routine, you can apply a spot treatment anytime and reapply as often as needed. You can also leave it on overnight for extra strength results.
We recommend TreeActiv Cystic Acne Spot Treatment as well as the acne patches that come with it to treat individual problem areas. The acne patches can be used overnight without worrying about the product rubbing off onto your pillow while you're sleeping. You'll wake up with noticeably reduced cysts in the morning!
2. Reduces Swelling and Redness
An acne flare-up can cause painful swelling and redness. The right treatment can reduce inflammatory acne and remove the swelling and redness from problem areas.
3. Clears Toxins From Your Pores
If you have a large cyst, it's important to get rid of it before it becomes infected. If left untreated, a cyst can become filled with toxins that will make your skin even more irritated and inflamed.
4. Quickly Treats Severe Acne
The great thing about a cystic acne treatment is that it works quickly to treat cysts and pimples that seem to pop up at the worst of times. Using a spot treatment allows you to tackle those problem areas right away before they become painful or spread to other areas.
5. Heals Acne Scars
In addition to killing bacteria and controlling sebum production, a good spot treatment can also help to heal and reduce the appearance of acne scars. Look for a product with natural ingredients like aloe vera, which will reduce inflammation and heal scars.
Other Ways to Treat Cystic Acne
The right skincare routine can make a huge difference in treating and preventing severe types of acne. Sometimes, however, you may need to combine your over-the-counter treatment with additional medical treatments from a dermatologist. These may include:
- oral antibiotics or topical antibiotics
- topical retinoids
- a prescription birth control pill (in women, some birth control methods can also help reduce acne)
- light therapies
It's always best to start with the right skincare treatment before moving on to more invasive methods. Certain prescription medications can have potential side effects like causing dry skin or itching or burning sensations.
Find an All-Natural Solution to Treat Cystic Acne
Treating severe acne doesn't have to be expensive or invasive. The right combination of skincare products can effectively treat acne and control oil production that leads to painful acne cysts. The TreeActiv 5-Step Acne Treatment Kit contains everything you need for the treatment AND prevention of painful acne cysts. Here's a quick overview of the products it contains and how to use them:
- Charcoal Acne Exfoliating Face Wash: Use twice daily (morning and night) to cleanse skin and control oil production.
- Acne Eliminating Face Spray: Use anytime you need an extra boost to refresh your skin (like right after a workout). Spray on your face and let it dry. Do not rinse off.
- Acne Treatment Face Moisturizer: Use as a daily moisturizer to deeply moisturize and control dry skin.
- Cystic Acne Spot Treatment: Use as-needed on pesky pimples and cysts for quick relief.
- 4-in-1 Acne Treatment: Use as needed as a wash, scrub, face mask, or spot treatment that will exfoliate to unclog pores and remove dead skin cells.
- BONUS: Acne Patches: For those spots that are extra painful or tough to treat, leave on overnight and remove them in the morning.
Don't let cystic acne get you down. Find the right skincare products for your skin type, including a cystic acne spot treatment and you'll be on your way to healthy, beautiful-looking skin!